Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Wool Longies by Mammy Made

Adele is here from Mammy Made, today...

 

Hi everyone. I’m Adele and I live in England with my two gorgeous babies, Leyla who is 4 and Naomie who is 2. I am so excited to be contributing to Inspiration Cafe today!



I usually blog over at Mammy Made. I like to write about crafting, cooking and homeschooling, although I am only homeschooling part time at the minute. I have tons of tutorials on there so come by and say hi, I’d love to see you! 

Today I am going to be sharing a pattern I made for wool longies.


I love seeing little babies in wool longies, I think they look seriously cute. I've never been brave enough to use them as longies, they are always just used as wool pants for us over a pocket nappy or a fitted and a wrap but they do make waterproof longies if you lanolise them. I used to have a pair that I'd made from a pattern I found online, I can't remember which one it was now but it wasn't perfect for us. 


I decided to make my own pattern, making the gusset wider and the legs a little tighter, more like leggings. I also made the rise higher. Then I decided I wanted to change the seam from on the side to being centred at the back, just to make it look a bit neater. That took me aaages but it was worth it because now I have a pattern that fits my two kids perfectly! Here is my pattern that I came up with :)

This pattern is for a size small. This size will fit approximately 0-6months.

You will need:

  • 5mm crochet hook
  • 6mm crochet hook
  • 100% wool (if you want to lanolise them - make sure the wool is not machine washable! If you want to use them as wool pants that are not waterproof you can use cheaper acrylic DK yarn)
  • wool needle

Abbreviations:

  • ch - chain
  • sc - single crochet
  • st - stitch
  • slst - slip stitch
  • hdc - half double crochet
  • dc - double crochet
  • sc2tog - single crochet two stitches together

Waistband:

1. Using 5mm hook, ch5, sc in 2nd ch from hook and across (4sc), ch1, turn and sc in back loops only until you have 59 rows altogether including foundation row. Join the waistband into a ring with a slip stitch under 2 loops at the bottom of the first row, being careful not to twist the ring. This will leave a v shape at the top of the waistband which will need stitching up at the end.
2. Using 6mm hook, ch1, turn, sc in same st and next 2sts, 2sc in next st (I counted each row as a new stitch so the 2scs went into the row with only one loop not two, this makes the holes for the drawstring) *sc in 3sts, 2scs in next st* end with sc in last 2sts, join with slst in 1st sc (72)

Body:

3. Ch1, turn, sc around, join with slst in first sc (72)
4-9. Repeat row 3
10. Ch3, turn, dc in 10sts, hdc in 5sts, sc in 42sts, hdc in 5sts, dc in11sts, join in top of ch3 (74)
11. Ch1, turn, sc2tog, sc around till last 2sts, sc2tog, join with slst in first sc (72)
12-13. Ch1, turn, sc around, join with slst in first sc
14.  Repeat row 10
15-34. Repeat rows 11-14 5 times
35. Ch1, turn, sc2tog, sc around till last 2sts, sc2tog, join with slst in first sc, bind off

Gusset:

36. With back of st facing, count back 5sts, join yarn, ch1, sc in same st and in next 8sts - you want the previous rows bind off to be right in the centre of the gusset (9)
37-40. Ch1, turn, sc across
41. Bind off, leaving a long tail, stitch the gusset to the middle 10sts on the opposite side of pants, check to make sure both legs have an even number of stitches

Legs:

42. With back of st facing, join yarn in middle of gusset, ch1, sc in same st and all around, join with slst in 1st sc 
43-67. Ch1, turn, sc around, join with slst in first sc
68. Ch1, turn, *sc in 1st, sc2tog* rep till end, join with slst in first sc 
69-73. Ch1, turn, sc around, join with slst in first sc, bind off, weave in ends

Drawstring:

74. Chain enough to go twice round waist, slst in 2nd ch from hook and across, bind off, weave in ends.


Remember not to wash your 100% wool longies in the washing machine. They will need to be handwashed in lukewarm water and left to airdry flat to keep them in the best condition.

I hope you all enjoyed this tutorial. Thank you so much to everyone behind Inspiration Cafe for letting me contribute. It's been fun!

7 comments:

  1. Oh those are positively adorable! Love the colors as well! You have some darling models there too! Wish I could knit! Thank you for sharing it today at the Inspiration Cafe, we're so glad you did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adele I love these!! I love to crochet and I just so happen to have a new baby niece who might need a pair...thinking...thinking...Thanks for hanging out with us over here!!! And good for you for totally making the pattern your own. Changing the gusset and the seams! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adele - I love them!!! I really need to learn how to crochet!!! These longies turned out amazingly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute! I just happen to have a new baby who needs a pair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute! I just happen to have a new baby who needs a pair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone and thanks for letting me take part. I'm already planning next months post :)

    Adele @ Mammy Made

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adele, I LOVE this! Thanks for a great share at the Cafe! I wish I knew how to crochet...I need to learn!

    ReplyDelete